Friday, December 20, 2013

Once upon a Lesbian Christmas: The Musical

I spent many of formative year in a blended Lesbian (yup, capital L) household.  And, as we all know, Lesbians are a strange breed of parent who are weird and force their children to listen to strange, Lesbian music.  True story.  I know every Ferron song there is, and  my mom bought me my first Ani Difranco cd (aw shit - who am I kidding.  It was a tape.) before any of y'all had even heard her name (guaranteed).  Christmas, as it turns out, is no exception.

Many of you may not know that in addition to the old familiar carols, there is also Lesbian Christmas Music (Yup, capital LCM).  Well, at least there is LCM from the 1990's - luckily coinciding with my formative years.

So, today I will give you all a special treat.  A glimpse into the LCM of my youth.  You will LOVE it, it's almost certain.  What's not to love?


Natch.  Still a LCM classic.





And from the Winnipeg (now long-ago defunct) Lesbo Trio....




Naturally, we listened to the Cris Williamson version, like a Proper Lesbian Family (PLF). I'm sorry JT - the PLF version isn't on youtube. The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas version suffices for now ;)




And - no list of LCM would be complete without some Loreena McKennitt. She may or may not be "family," it matters not. She is - and always will be - lesbionic.




The sounds of my X'mas formative years....





1 comment:

  1. I think it was you who introduced me to the lyrics of Ani Difranko in our poetry classes during your grade 11 year! Thank you! Have a wonderful, restful, fun-filled time with your family! PW

    ReplyDelete