Thursday, August 25, 2011

a good book to read with the kids when you feel like shit

I Like Myself  I Like Myself! by Karen Beaumont is a funny, rhyming book about a little girl who likes herself.  (To get all Sally Field-y, she really, really likes herself!)  Girlio got this for her birthday this year, and she and Boy-o both love hearing it.  And I've found that when one is having a grown-up-sort-of-I-don't-like-myself-kinda-day, this book is quite a refreshing read.  We (the royal WE) spend so much time trying to build up our kidlet's self-esteems and senses of self worth, and so little time focussing on our own.  This is a good kick in the pants that will also make your smalls laugh and feel good.  I particularly enjoy the reminder about loving my 'hippo hips'.  :)  And David Catrow's illustrations are, as per usual, all kinds of awesome.

Beaumont, Karen and David Catrow.  I Like Myself!  Boston: Houghton Miflin Harcourt Publishing, 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment