Tuesday, August 10, 2010

gender based violence and our culture

I have just read and posted the link to a horrifying news story about a baby boy who was beaten to death for "acting like a girl".  This is the extreme end of our culture's fucked-up-ness about gender, and what it means to be a boy or a girl in our world.  It's why I rail against gender and gendered expectations of children, and of adults.  It's so so senseless... and yet it is the exteme end result of a world that tells boys they can't cry or be sensitive and girls they can't take up space or be outspoken.

If you read it (and we probably should all read it) prepare to be sad.  Really, very, extra, super sad.    And angry.  Really fucking angry.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-rowe/what-it-says-about-us-whe_b_671373.html?ref=fb

2 comments:

  1. I just have NO WORDS for how horrific it is. No words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to click that link, because I knew you'd be right... and you are and I am angry. What the fuck is wrong with some people :(

    ReplyDelete